Lower Back Pain
Lower Back Pain Treatment in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Margate, FL
The lower back, also called the lumbar region, is the area of the back that starts below the ribcage. Almost everyone has lower back pain at some point in their lives, and fortunately, it often gets better on its own. However, some injuries to the lower back may require some intervention with your doctor.
The pain may range from a dull ache to a stabbing or shooting sensation depending on location and severity. Pain that comes on suddenly is considered acute and may be caused during sports or heavy lifting; while pain that lasts for three months or more is considered chronic, and should be evaluated by your doctor.
Lower Back Pain Exercises
When you have lower back pain you may feel like resting, however, it is better to keep moving and do some exercises to help strengthen your back, stomach, and leg muscles. These muscles help support your spine and relieve back pain. Below are some common exercises for lower back pain:
- Physical therapy – Working in a specialized program with your therapist can help increase strength and mobility as well as help reduce pain in the lower back
- Partial crunches – These can help strengthen your lower back and stomach muscles
- Hamstring stretches – This will help gently stretch the back of your leg and into your lower back
- Wall sits – These will help strengthen the lower back muscles and increase stability
- Pelvic tilts – These will help stretch out your lower back while strengthening your stomach muscles
Aerobic exercise – Exercises like swimming, biking, and walking will help strengthen and reduce back pain
South Florida Orthopedic Group, formerly known as Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence, is proud to offer spine care in Fort Lauderdale and Margate. We offer nonsurgical treatment of spine conditions. When less invasive treatment options are not enough, you and your doctor can discuss having back surgery to see if it is right for you. For some people, the best way to overcome back pain is to have surgery.
Lower Back Pain Specialists in Ft. Lauderdale & Margate, FL
To schedule a consultation at one of our two conveniently located South Florida locations, call South Florida Orthopedic Group (fka Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence) in Fort Lauderdale at (954) 771-8177 or in Margate at (954) 580-4080. We are always happy to answer any questions you may have.