Sciatica Treatment in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Margate, FL
Sciatica is nerve pain from an injury or irritation to the sciatic nerve in the back, which originates in the buttock area. “Sciatica” is a term used to describe any pain that originates in the lower back and radiates down the leg. An actual injury to the sciatic nerve itself is very uncommon. The pain many experience is an injury to a nerve causing irritation, inflammation, pinching, or compression of a nerve in the lower back.
Sciatica pain can be caused by several different medical issues including but not limited to:
- A herniated or slipped disk in your back
- Degenerative disk disease
- Spinal stenosis, or abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal
- Osteoarthritis, or bone spurs
- Trauma injury to the lower back or sciatic nerve
- Tumors in the lower back
- Piriformis syndrome; is a condition where a small muscle in the buttocks becomes tight or spasms
Sciatica treatment and exercises
The goal of any treatment is to decrease pain and increase mobility. With sciatica pain, the treatment plan varies depending on the cause. Many sciatica issues can be resolved with self-care treatments such as:
- Applying ice or hot packs; starting with ice packs to reduce pain and swelling, then switch to heat after a few days.
- Take over-the-counter medications to help reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling. These medications include aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen.
- Perform gentle stretches and exercises including but not limited to:
- Nerve mobilizing stretch
- Low lunge
- Pigeon stretch
- Back extension
- Knee to opposite shoulder stretch
- Hamstring stretch
South Florida Orthopedic Group, formerly known as Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence, is proud to offer spine care in Fort Lauderdale and Margate. We offer nonsurgical treatment of spine conditions. When less invasive treatment options are not enough, you and your doctor can discuss having back surgery to see if it is right for you. For some people, the best way to overcome back pain is to have surgery.
Sciatica Specialists in Ft. Lauderdale & Margate, FL
To schedule a consultation at one of our two conveniently located South Florida locations, call South Florida Orthopedic Group (formerly known as Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence) in Fort Lauderdale at (954) 771-8177 or in Margate at (954) 580-4080. We are always happy to answer any questions you may have.