Degenerative Disc Disease
Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Margate, FL
Everyone, eventually, shows signs of wear in their spinal discs as they age. However, not everyone will encounter degenerative disc disease, which is a condition in which a damaged disc causes pain, where a wide range of symptoms and severity come into play.
What Causes Degenerative Disc Disease?
Many factors can cause discs to degenerate, including age. Below are some specific factors that apply:
- When people are born, discs are made up of about 80% water, as we age, the discs dry out, and don’t absorb shock as well
- Daily activities and sports can cause tears in the outer core of the disc. By the age of 60, everyone has some sort of degeneration, however, not everyone has pain
- Injuries can cause swelling, soreness, and instability, which results in back pain
Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease
Common symptoms of this condition include but are not limited to:
- Pain that worsens when sitting
- Pain that worsens when lifting, bending, or twisting
- Feeling better while walking or running over sitting or standing
- Periods of severe pain that come and go
- Numbness and tingling in the extremities
- Weakness in the leg muscles
Degenerative Disc Disease Treatment
Although this condition is not fully curable, there are many treatments to help the symptoms. These treatments include:
- Physical therapy to help strengthen the muscles around the affected area
- Back bracing to help with short-term immobilization
- Over-the-counter medications to help with pain, swelling, and inflammation
South Florida Orthopedic Group, formerly known as Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence, is proud to offer spine care in Fort Lauderdale and Margate. We offer nonsurgical treatment of spine conditions. When less invasive treatment options are not enough, you and your doctor can discuss having back surgery to see if it is right for you. For some people, the best way to overcome back pain is to have surgery.
Degenerative Disc Disease Specialists in Ft. Lauderdale & Margate, FL
To schedule a consultation at one of our two conveniently located South Florida locations, call South Florida Orthopedic Group (fka Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence) in Fort Lauderdale at (954) 771-8177 or in Margate at (954) 580-4080. We are always happy to answer any questions you may have.