Spinal Fracture Treatment in Fort Lauderdale, FL and Margate, FL
A spinal fracture is a dislocation or fracture of the vertebrae and can occur anywhere along the spine. Most spinal fractures are caused by an injury or trauma such as car accidents, falls, and more.
Types of Spinal Fractures
Below are the types of spinal fractures and their causes:
- Compression fracture – Caused by abnormalities in the spine, such as osteoporosis or a tumor; this causes the front of the vertebra to fracture and deteriorate, while the back of the vertebra is stable.
- Axial burst fracture – This type of fracture is caused by a fall or vertical impact; it creates a loss of height in both the front and back of the vertebra.
- Chance fracture – This fracture can be caused by a violent trauma such as a car accident; this fracture occurs from the pulling apart of vertebrae.
Spinal Fracture Symptoms
Symptoms of a spinal fracture may vary depending on the severity and location of the injury. Below are the most common of many symptoms of a spinal fracture
- Pain in the back that worsens with movement
- Pain in the neck
- Tingling or numbness
- Weakness or paralysis of limbs
- Uncontrolled muscle spasms
- Loss of urinary or bowel control
Spinal Fracture Treatment
Many fractures can be treated non-surgically. These treatments take time and are necessary for the proper healing of patients. Below are some of the many treatment options for spinal fractures:
- Follow-up care with a rehabilitation specialist to help with long-term therapy plans
- The use of medications to help control some issues that may arise from a spinal fracture such as:
- Bowel and bladder dysfunctions
- Pain management
- Muscle spasms
- Blood pressure
South Florida Orthopedic Group, formerly known as Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence, is proud to offer spine care in Fort Lauderdale and Margate. We offer nonsurgical treatment of spine conditions. When less invasive treatment options are not enough, you and your doctor can discuss having back surgery to see if it is right for you. For some people, the best way to overcome back pain is to have surgery.
Spinal Fracture Specialists in Ft. Lauderdale & Margate, FL
To schedule a consultation at one of our two conveniently located South Florida locations, call South Florida Orthopedic Group (formerly known as Meli Orthopedic Centers of Excellence) in Fort Lauderdale at (954) 771-8177 or in Margate at (954) 580-4080. We are always happy to answer any questions you may have.